Sunday, September 28

eBay is Bringing back a very Cool Tool

I clicked over to the eBay announcements page last week and found a new post announcing a new eBay advertising program: "Over the next few months, we'll be introducing a new program call eBay AdCommerce."

Hmmm, deja vu? Perhaps the person making the announcement hasn't been with eBay very long. eBay used to have some very useful and powerful marketing programs for the sellers: co-op advertising and a program curiously similar to this one, the eBay AdMarketplace (Keywords on eBay).

Not only curiously similar. It seemed exactly the same. It was the eBay version of Google's AdWords. The new program is positioned as "a pay-per-click advertising solution that will allow eBay sellers to advertise their listings and eBay Stores via a text ad on eBay search result pages."

They also say that the program will “allow eBay sellers to promote their stores and listings via enhanced text integrations on eBay search result pages. The ads can be targeted by keyword or category, and eBay buyers who click on these ads will be taken directly to sellers’ listings or stores on eBay.”

This is the program eBay abandoned in 2006. Savvy sellers used this program (as do millions of site on the web use Google pay-per-click) to promote their listings and businesses right on the eBay site - where they are selling.

As a seller, I used the program very successfully from 2003 and couldn't understand why eBay dropped the program. At the time, eBay said that “The eBay Keywords program has been used by a very small percentage of eBay members since its launch in 2003.” It was a small percentage (guess) of successful sellers.

Why they're touting it as something new is a puzzle, except we all know about the popularity of repackaging an old idea as a new one. It is the lipstick on a pig syndrome? Whatever, it's a valuable program. Successful sellers will stay on top of the launch, click here for eBay's official info.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I was surprised to find your blog on one of my Google alerts today. I have read many of your eBay books and regularly recommend them on my page, Treasures By Brenda.

    I will be watching this 'new' campaign eBay AdCommerce. Before I even learn anything about it, I wonder, "How much is this going to cost?" At least it was good to hear that you liked and valued the previous program.

    I am a positive person and try always to remain positive...eBay is sure making that difficult with all of these changes although I believe change is generally a good thing. It is just too bad that change is requiring me to edit individually over 1,000 items...

    Anyway, now that I've found your blog, I'll be reading it!

    Thanks,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:44 AM

    Marsha,

    I got the email from eBay today about this. Why does eBay make everything sound so complicated. I've been selling on eBay for years and I would love to boost my sales with this venue. What is the best way of setting this up and getting the best results? I'm in a very competitive market and I know my competition will be using this to their benefit. Help!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is awaiting moderation - thank you for stopping by!